Monday, March 23, 2020

Locked in and Loopy - Episode 1


We have to stay at home?
For how long???

  You think for me this would be easy. I already work from home.


Guess again.

I already have a natural inclination to bristle when told I can't do something. To be told I can't do a lot of somethings...

   While I spend considerable amount of time on a computer (I'm a writer who does side work for a trucking firm), working from home doesn't necessarily mean I am at home ALL THE TIME! Nothing could be farther from the truth. My day consists of errands, picking up and dropping off kids (not just my own - I seem to have accumulated a lot of other children), volunteering, teaching, meeting people, going to the gym, and even my most dreaded task - going to the grocery store. I was never much for shopping of any kind before, but now...

I'm researching which BDUs would be most effective to wear to the grocery store.
This is not what I envisioned when I said I needed to get out.


   My social media involvement has increased, but believe me, it's not the same.

   Last week absolutely no one contacted me to bring missing lunches, books, and instruments to the school. No one needed to be picked up after practice. That meant I went nowhere, except the grocery store. You remember, the place I LOVE to go?

   Several grocery stores. The new norm means the stuff we need can no longer be found at ONE store. My tank isn't big enough.

   Still exercising every day, but the gym is where the treadmill and other equipment is kept. Since I have difficulty walking, I like the treadmill. It gives me something to hold onto when my body up and decides it isn't feeling very cooperative. There is no treadmill at home. Yes, I have seen the video of the guy who uses dish soap and a little bit of water on the kitchen floor to create his own treadmill. That will work, until I have to go to the bathroom. Please, I am trying to avoid a visit to the ER.

   Bible study last week was quiet. Just the video, the workbooks, and me. No one put out coffee and snacks. There was no lively discussion. No clean up either.

   Only took one kid driving this week for practice hours. My kid. We had already talked about everything we would otherwise talk about.

   I did my first e-class for my RE kids last week. I already use technology when I teach, so it wasn't a big stretch. This week I am hoping to add a little more interactive activities to my curriculum to try and keep them involved. Our church is not set up for on-line learning, so there is no connectivity with my noisy, rambunctious class. No one had to be told to sit down for the 7th time.

Did I just suggest I missed the kids!?!


   Mass was quiet too. Just the three of us. No eucharist. No fellowship afterward.

   As for those other errands - no can do. I believe I have cleaned the kitchen twice a day, just so I am looking at something other than my office.

I miss my life outside this house. Dare I say it? I miss actual contact with people.

I must be getting a little loopy.
  

1 comment:

  1. Yes yes yes. You know your bored when you clean something AGAIN and walk around eyeing other surfaces, nooks and crannies!

    ReplyDelete