Friday, January 26, 2018

Future City here I come!

   Last Saturday I drove my daughter down to UIC to join her team in the regional Future City competition. I know, you probably have the same question I had...

What the Heck is a Future City Competition?

   I have a link - Future City! But for anyone who is just a bit busy, Future City is all about making the world a better place using math, science, public speaking, problem solving, time management, team work, and a whole lotta imagination!


   The kids had to research and propose solutions to engineering challenges, explore different types of engineering, learn about how communities work, and best of all, design a city of the future.

   This involved an essay, virtual city, a model, and three presenters who gave an oral presentation. Judges asked questions about the city, what resources the kids used, where they got their ideas and how they worked together as a team to implement and problem solve any difficulties that resulted from their efforts.

And I have trouble putting together dinner some days...

   This year's theme was Age Friendly City. There were a lot of neat concepts to encompass a growing senior community. They ranged from activities to the availability of services such as commuter options.

I was told there would be a senior shuttle for people just like me!
I'm not entirely sure I'm ready to be designated to the senior shuttle.

But I did like the way the future incorporated so many eco-friendly sources of power! I saw fields of solar panels, wind turbines and more.

I got a big kick out of water management, the emphasis placed on recycling, and how clean they kept everything.

Vertical gardens and indoor parks are also a part of the future. Nice for those rainy days when I just want to get out and enjoy.

With the integration of services such as fire and police protection right in the building I live in, what more could I ask for. They even put medical care where it could be easily accessed by all.

   Better yet were some of the ideas the kids had about how to more efficiently monitor an individual's health to offer effective preventative care and provide emergency relief when needed.

All I have to do is live about a hundred years and all this can be mine.

It was our school's first time at the competition and we ranked in the top five, making it to the finalist round! We didn't win, but it was a really exciting adventure and we all had a great time!


We would like to wish this year's first place region winners best of luck at the National Competition February 20, 2018!

For more information on Future City Competitions, please visit Future City.org where you can learn about this wonderful opportunity for 6th, 7th, and 8th graders to learn about applying math and science (and a whole lot of other skills) to building up our future. You might even be inspired to sign up a team, register to become a mentor, judge or volunteer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment